Omer Barash (b. 1995) is a composer and pianist currently residing in Montreal. He is a Master’s student at the Schulich School of Music of McGill University, studying under the supervision of Prof. Philippe Leroux.
He graduated from the Israel Arts and Sciences Academy (IASA), where he studied the piano with Prof. Assaf Zohar and Mr. Daniel Hoexter, and composition with Mr. Israel Sharon. After graduation, Omer served as an “Outstanding Musician” in the IDF, alongside his composition studies at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance, under Dr. Karel Volniansky and Prof. Yinam Leef. At present he is pursuing his MMus degree in composition under Prof. Ari Ben-Shabetai and his BMus in piano under Prof. Eitan Globerson.
Since October 2017 Omer is a member of the JAMD chamber music programme for outstanding students, and also of the “Tedarim” programme for the Master’s degree in composition – both under a full scholarship.
- June 26, 2019: “Jeux Jerusalemiens” by Tedarim Ensemble, to be conducted by Pascal Gallois at the Israeli Conservatory of Music, Tel-Aviv
- June-July 2018 “Resisei Laila” (Night Dew) by the Netanya-Kibbutz Orchestra, conducted by Christian Lindberg – eight concerts across Israel.
- June 2018 “Scattergories” for flute, clarinet, bassoon, piano, violin, cello and double-bass by Tedarim ensemble conducted by Tom Karni, at the Israeli Conservatory of Music, Tel-Aviv
- April 2018 “Schizoprism” for cello and piano by Yoni Gotlibovich and Amit Dolberg, at the JAMD
- February 2018 “Resisei Laila” (Night Dew) by the Netanya-Kibbutz Orchestra, conducted by Guy Braunstein – seven concerts across Israel.
- December 2017 “TEHUDA” for violin and piano, by Duo Ardorè – at the Nuova Consonanza Festival in Rome, Italy
- March 2017 “Small Square” for clarinet and piano by Adva Hadida and Amit Dolberg – at the Tel-Aviv Museum of Art, Israel
- February 2017 “Four Glances through a Keyhole” for chamber ensemble –– by outstanding students from the Jerusalem and Budapest Music academies – at the ELMA arts center in Zichron Ya’akov, Israel
- November 2016 “Echoes of Reverence” – a symphonic version for clarinet solo and string orchestra –by the Savaria Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Peter Dobszay – at the St. Martin Gala in Szombathely, Hungary
- April 2016 “Four Glances through a Keyhole” for chamber ensemble – by Meitar Ensemble – at the Jerusalem Music Centre, Israel
ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
- Excellence grant from the AICF for composition studies (2018)
- Nazarian scholarship for outstanding chamber musicians in the JAMD (2017-2019)
- ARPE foundation scholarship for composition and piano studies (2017-2019)
- 1st prize in the Mark Kopytman composition contest (Jerusalem, 2018)
- Israel NK Orchestra’s audience choice for “Resisei Laila” (2o18)
- Composition masterclasses with Johanna Doderer (Gutenstein, Austria 2017)
- ARPE foundation scholarship for composition studies (2016-2017)
- 3rd prize in the Mark Kopytman composition contest (Jerusalem, 2016)
- Composition seminar with Prof. Georg Friedrich Haas (Tel-Aviv, 2016)
- America-Israel cultural foundation scholarship for piano studies (2012-2013)